Friday 15 April 2011

You say tomay-to, I say tomaa-to!

Thanks to all those who commented on my post yesterday about Woolies. Apparently there seems to be some difference between the Woolworths stores in Australia and the rest of the world. In the back of my mind, I did know this, but should have realised that perhaps the rest of the world didn't and made it a bit clearer in my post.

Woolworths in Australia is a supermarket, where I get all my groceries (ie. foodstuffs), not a variety store as it appears to be in the UK and US. The variety store arm of Woolworths (as Alannah kindly pointed out) is called Big W here. Both are doing extremely well and there isn't much chance of either closing down all stores. In fact, I wish they would open a Big W around here, but that's a whole other issue!

So there you have it! It's cool that we all have our different country-specific stores, as well as the more well-known global chains. It keeps us all unique! :D

*hugs*

3 comments:

Jimjams said...

LOL - not such a small world after all then!

misteejay said...

I think Woolworths here in the UK overstretched themselves and forgot their roots...result, they went bust! However, they were such a part of every high street that I think folk would love for them to reappear.

Walmart bought one of our supermarket chains (ASDA) and I'm sure most of the crafters over here were hoping for some of their craft stuff to start appearing...hasn't happened yet...

Toni xx

Jo said...

Your post yesterday did make me miss our Woolies here

Related Posts with Thumbnails