At 5 months, Jasmine:
- Weighs 6.8kg and is 65cm in length at best guess! I haven't been to the Community Health Center to get her measured as yet.
- Has been testing her vocal chords and voice range. Unfortunately, she seems to be favouring the high pitches and shrieking is her favourite noise at the moment.
- Is learning how to self-settle herself to sleep. So far so good, but unfortunately, the hour or two of sleep she gets during the day (and at least 8-10 hours through the night) is often preceded by 12 mins of whinging and screaming. :( The whinging I can live with but the screaming is very unsettling. Ear plugs anyone?!? Very rare is the time when I can put her down and she goes off to sleep with a few soft whinges. It happens, but is very rare!
- Often goes to sleep as in the above photo - with foot in hand! She does eventually let go of her foot to lie properly. LOL (BTW, the above photo is a screen shot from our "surveillance camera" aka baby video monitor. :D )
- Is definitely a Mountain baby as she doesn't like the heat. She normally generates quite a lot of heat (for such a small body!), but we've had a few days and nights where the bedroom temperature has been over 25C and she can't sleep, having only short naps during the day and waking almost every hour through the night. We don't have an air-conditioner in the bedroom, although it has been very tempting - at least for us to be able to get a good night sleep!
- Is learning to use her hands now and reaching out to touch or grab everything within reach. Including daddy. :D
- Still comp feeding. I haven't tried her on solids yet as she is watching us eat, but doesn't really seem interested when I give her any food or even a spoon. I'll probably wait another two weeks or so and try again.
- Is finally starting to enjoy tummy time. As long as she's distracted with a mirror or a toy or me lying in front of her. Average length of tummy time is still only 1-2 mins, although there have been a few 5 min sessions. Yay!
- Has stopped rolling all the way over and is now only rolling onto her side and then back again. When she is lying down, she does have a habit of bending her head and shoulders around. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with her learning to roll?!?
- Likes to suck on her toes! LOL I keep trying to get a photo of this, but everytime she sees the camera, she drops her foot. :(
- She's still halfway between 000 and 00 clothing. Some of the 000 is now too small to wear, but some of the 00 is still too big!! Just a matter of trial and error and ear-marking those outfits that she can fit into.
- Is still putting everything into her mouth, and thoroughly enjoying it!
- Can sit up by herself for all of 3 seconds, but mainly on grass, as she did this the two times I was out at a park, but she hasn't been able to do it at home yet!
- Got to wear her first pair of shoes. Aren't they cute?!?
- Is starting to look towards the source of a sound. Not necessarily when we talk to or call her, but other sounds like when I'm filling up a glass or when the dogs bark. At least I know there's nothing wrong with her hearing!
- Had her first ride in a shopping trolley with a child seat. And yes, as you can see, I was stocking up on nappies and wipes. LOL
- Is now sitting in the Smart facing forward. We found she prefers this as she likes to look around and take everything in. She got sick of looking at mummy or daddy in the rear facing position!! LOL
- Has a Bumbo seat now and doesn't mind sitting in it, as long as she has toys to be distracted with!