Happy Australia Day dear blog friends!
Historically, 26 January marks the day when Captain Arthur Phillip and entourage first stepped onto Australian soil in 1788. These days, along with celebrating that "first landing", we also celebrate what it means to be Australian, to be an Aussie!
There are lots of things that signify "being Australian", but here are the characteristics that I consider make ME essentially Aussie (in no particular order):
- I have freedom.
- I am multicultural.
- I am eager to help those in need.
- I am friendly.
- I have a dry sense of humour, and can laugh at (or make fun of) anything.
- I am ready to take on anything life throws at me.
- Friendships or "mateships" are important to me.
And now, for a bit of fun, here are some things that I'm kind of lacking with respect to being a true blue Aussie:
- I don't like beer. Or vegemite for that matter.
- Thongs (or flip-flops to you Northern Hemisphere readers!) are not my ideal choice of footwear.
- I can handle not going to a beach every weekend.
- Sports do not particularly interest me, especially cricket or rugby (oh shock horror!!)
- I don't drive a ute. Or a Holden. Or Ford.